Sunday, March 20, 2016

Never a dull day

The sunset over Azrou, a town we stayed at in the mountains. The sunset was
absolutely breathtaking and it definitely would have been nice to stay longer.
So, I know I haven't posted in a while. It's not for a lack of trying, or any fun stories. There are plenty. And I have tried to write about them, but couldn't bring myself to put the expirience into words. Riding a camel in the Sahara, getting chased off by moneys in the forest, making many Moroccan friends, winding up in a Ganawa party and visiting multiple cities are just a few of the shenanigans my friends have gotten ourselves into the past few weeks that I haven't posted about. However, telling all of those stories will be saved for a rainy day when I have nothing better to do. Buy me an iced coffee (which I'm severly lacking here.... aka I have to go 3 times a day whenever I'm in Marrakesh or Casablanca the only 2 cities that have Starbucks to get an iced Americano because it's freaking hot here) and I'll tell you some stories.
Fes has the largest medina in Morocco and is set in the
Middle Atlas Mountains.

So instead of telling stories that exoticize Morocco I'm gonna tell you some of what I have come across being here.

1) For every crappy person you meet there are 10 amazing people that will help you and be nice human beings. Especially when people try to help you and there is a language barrier (Hamdullah for everyone putting up with my poor French and shwaya Arabic).
2) I thought I hated the patriarchy before coming here, but since living in a ridiculously patriarchal society I have really come to hate it and will literally say "FUCK THE PATRIARCHY" in the streets. Really having to think twice about what café you go to and getting cat-called like crazy in the street is not fun ever and will start to get on your nerves real quick.
3) The world isn't that big. First, there is a HUGE western influence from the McDonalds to the clothes people wear and everything in between. Second, I have really enjoyed the 4 hour time difference we have had for the past week, because we have not sprung ahead yet. Third, politics matter; I had a meeting where I met some high-up people working for a human rights organization. Of course when I mention I'm from D.C. that brings up politics – and not the "yay Obama" that comes up in everyday conversation – I got asked about Trump. Really there is no way to answer than "Insha'Allah" he will not be president.
A photo posted by Maddie Hughes (@mhughes_9513) on
4) When nothing is convenient it makes you feel 10 times more accomplished. First, I got an internship working in corporate communications; thanks rugby for giving me the experience. Second, I got my absentee ballot and it will be freaking hard to figure out how the hell to print it out and mail it back to the US – insuring it will make it there, which I kind of doubt from how Moroccan bureaucracy goes – BUT I will get it there. Every vote counts, especially when the race is a freaking weird as it has been this year.
5) Just go with the flow and it will all be good; except with awful cab drivers fight them when they try to charge you 50 dirham for 5 blocks.

Here is to living in the moment and going with the crazy flow of what's happening.  Insha'Allah I will return to to all of the places I have been in Morocco, hopefully one day when I can afford the nice things (aka every Amazigh rug and handmade leather bag my heart desires).

Right now we are on our way to a village to stay with families for the week. The Riff mountains are in sight. Beslama civilization.

A photo posted by Maddie Hughes (@mhughes_9513) on

No comments:

Post a Comment