Tuesday, April 5, 2016

ISPJ: Don't Blink

The view from our kitchen window.

            So, I'm finally on the long-awaited ISPJ period that I essentially worked my way to since stepping foot into the continent. I have to report on and write a feature story that is hopefully pitch-able to a major news outlet. I get to live with a variety of friends and travel around Morocco on my own.

Living: 

We have a gas stove that has to be lit with
a lighter... so I will be eating lots
of fresh veggies and PB&Js.
            So, this is the coolest thing. My friends and I actually found an apartment on our own in Rabat and are gonna live there on our own. The location is perfect in an amazing neighborhood, Hassan. Everything is either walkable or easy to get to via tram. I'm getting my student tram pass later this week to be able to take advantage of it more.

            It's been an adventure already. Friday we moved our stuff in early so that 2 of my best friends I'm living with and I could have our first official night in our apartment before they went on their ways traveling for the first week or two.

            However, I will not be alone because we are the designated transient house for anyone coming to and needing a place in Rabat for our group. The apartment is so big I bet we could fit everyone if needed. Three of our other friends from the program will be living with us the last two weeks of ISPJ after they have traveled for their stories.

            It's nice living in Rabat because I know it really well and already have a few friends. Some of our friends include some guys who go to circus school across the river in Salé. They came over the first night for dinner. We attempted to cook for them, but after being scared of the gas stove we had to ask for their help. It was nice of them to help. Sunday they also came over to teach us to properly use the stove because we still couldn't get it. Our washing machine is currently broken (it had to have happened before we got there) and we have no gas for the hot water heater, so it's going to be a few interesting days until the apartment owner can help us out.

Traveling: 

            So, because it's ISPJ and I don't actually have class I can travel as long as I get stuff done. One of my friends had to be in Casablanca for an event last night. So as a casual Monday I decided why not go; I wanted to get coffee and a burger anyways (Bless Burger is the best burger on this side of the Atlantic). So we left, not booking our hotel till we were on the train because the AirBnb we wanted wasn't available anymore. It looked OK enough for $40 in Casa for the night.

Living with Becca and Oly. When we were in Casablanca 2 weeks ago.
            We rolled up to the hotel and I felt itchy in the lobby. We fought with the receptionist because she didn't see that we had just made the reservation. All we wanted to do was drop off our bags and go to our favorite burger place.

            After getting into the room we saw that it was not cleaned, but the cleaning lady was on the floor, so she should be cleaning it soon. My friend went into he bathroom and the cleaning lady came in the "clean" the room. She made the beds with the same sheets that were already on the beds. What could be more disgusting. The room was already cringe-worthy and that sealed the deal. We called our friends who are living in Casa for ISPJ and asked if we could crash there for the night. Thankfully they welcomed us with open arms.

            All in all I think the lesson learned was to just try to stay with friends first. I'm also going to avoid all budget hotels without reading MULTIPLE reviews first. Hostels and AirBnbs are probably the way to go.

Other Shenanigans: 

            So, as I mentioned we are friends with some acrobats, so that just always makes for good times and laughter. My American friends and I have gotten to the point where we just look at each other and laugh at our situation. We met them a while back when they were performing in front of Parliament. If I have learned anything in Morocco it's rule of not talking to strangers is absolute bullshit, because hey look who you can become friends with.

            I have talked to protestors in the streets and random people all over the place. Being i. Casa for less than 24 hours I met some really cool people. The guy who spoke impeccable English in a cab we took is actually an editor and journalist for the Moroccan paper Telquel, which is one of the free-est papers in Morocco.

            The manager at Starbucks in Casa is actually an American Moroccan that lived in DC. He worked at the Starbucks in DuPont Circle up until 3 years ago. I had an interesting conversation about how Starbucks is expanding in Morocco. (Hopefully  when I come back to Rabat one day I'll be able to get an iced coffee.) He also advised me to get a Cold Brew instead of an Iced Americano, which is actually my favorite in America, it's just so new in Morocco they didn't have it the first time I went to a Starbucks in Marrakech. Then he gave my friend and I a voucher for a free Cold Brew.

The Count-Down is On: 

Starbucks on the train back to Rabat.
            It being ISPJ means that our time is coming to an end. The first two months flew by. Now with only 5 and 1/2 weeks left it's time to really make things count. Last night after the event my friend and I attended we were stranded in a café by the cold rain. We ended up talking about what it's gonna mean to go home. Sad thought.

            I love being here and able to travel and do tons of crazy things. We might be bound to Morocco, because according to our program we can't leave the country. However, the opportunities are endless. I'm going to Marrakesh for a third time this weekend because it's my favorite city and I know there is still a ton left to explore. I physically won't be able to do everything I want while I'm in Morocco. I want to go to Essaouira, Agadir and Tangier; I'm hoping to make it to at least one of those.


            And after I know I get three more weeks of travel, but it won't be the same. I won't have the same friends I've gotten so close to. And it won't be in Morocco, a place I have absolutely fallen in love with and have only gotten more confused and intrigued by the more I'm learning about it.





No comments:

Post a Comment