Friday, April 8, 2016

Oh Morocco.... Sometimes you just have to laugh

The first time in Marrakesh we went to the Marrakesh Biennial Art instillation.
This is the view from the top of the building.  
Morocco you never cease to amaze me in so many different ways. There are deserts and then mountains with snow. There are beautiful landscapes that are either impeccable or covered in garbage. And I should come to expect the unexpected.

The reception started off with a more touristy Ganawa group
preforming. It then turned into a private party with real
Ganawa music. 
This week has been absolutely insane. I moved into my new apartment; it is a beautiful apartment but with no gas for hot water, and the oven and washing machine it has been hard to love. I ended up having to bucket bathe because I hadn't showered in so long. I started my article and got to interview Syrian refugees. It was absolutely amazing and their stories are so touching. And now I'm on a train to Marrakesh.

As I have mentioned Marrakesh is my favorite city. It's always an adventure visiting. The first time we had a whirlwind adventure exploring the city. It's the most touristy city. We spent too much money in the soukes and had too much fun at the club. The second time I visited we did not have time to make it to any club; instead we covered a dance festival and found ourselves at a Ganawa  party that doubled as the closing party to the festival.

Inside the soukes.
And the outside. Marrakesh is called the pink city because
of all the pink buildings.
This time we were just going for fun; not with school or any particular purpose other than to see friends living there for the ISPJ period. However, because we are college students and leave things till the last minute often we left booking where we were going to stay till it was a tad late. As we were scrambling for places we couldn't find any in our budget. Finally my friends who are also going down for the weekend said we could stay at their friend's place they are staying at. However, as I was sitting on the train platform I got a call saying that fell through.

Scrambling, I called my friend in Marrakesh to ask what to do. I still had time to decide to go or not. It seemed like this trip was doomed from the start. However, the train came and I got on. While jumping onto the train I received a call from my friends saying they found a cheap AirBnb.



I then scrambled to find my seat. Thankfully I got first class. It's the weekend and a 5 hour train ride, so second class would be hectic. I pulled out my computer and booked the AirBnb while eating the my McRoyal burger I got while waiting an insanely long time at the train station. Stuffing my face with a burger while frantically trying to book and AirBnb and call my friends probably made the men in my car judge me hardcore. Oh well In'Shallah the patriarchy will be punished with some karma.


However, I am finally now on my way. I'm going with zero expectations and a can-do attitude. This is one of those day where you just have to laugh and go with the flow. Because when in Morocco be on Moroccan time -- eventually you will get where you need to be.

How can you not love a city with this view?



No comments:

Post a Comment